I first had roasted tomatoes at a wedding where they served this veggie blend family style, surrounding a tender roasted chicken. The way the crinkled tomato skin slipped off and the insides burst made them oh-so craveable. I skipped most of the meat and loaded my plate with these flavorful veggies. Sure, they’re a great accompaniment to your favorite protein, but I like this dish all on its own.
This combo is entirely too easy to prep for how delicious it is. Just wash the veggies to remove any dirt, and you’re almost done. I buy the bagged cauliflower to save time breaking off the florets myself. And it’s up to you if you slice the mushrooms or leave them whole. Onions are really great in this mix too. Just chop up one medium onion and add in with all the other veggies. (Baking time might need to be adjusted a few minutes longer.)
Italian Roasted Veggies
- 1 lb baby bella or white mushrooms, rinsed
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 1/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, rinsed
- 6-8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tbsp capers, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley, fresh or dried (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add mushrooms, cauliflower, tomatoes and capers. Pour olive oil, then add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Toss until veggies are coated. Lightly season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Spread veggies onto baking sheet and roast in oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Garnish with parsley, plate, and enjoy.
* Note: If you prefer, leave capers out of the roasting process, and add them to your final plated dish.
Adapted from Jo Cooks