This delicious vegan, gluten-free smoothie is inspired by spring. The sweet, magical taste of those early season strawberries combine with savory basil and protein-packed chia for a nutrient boost you need right now. It’s the perfect way to start your morning or give your self a guilt-free afternoon snack.
This smoothie only requires four ingredients, which makes adding it to your grocery shopping list a breeze. Use fresh or frozen strawberries (depending if they’re in season or not). If you use fresh strawberries, add a bit of ice to the blender or pour over ice to chill smoothie.
Fan of fruit? Also try this light and refreshing Peaches and Cream Smoothie.
Strawberry basil chia smoothie
Makes 2 (Halve this recipe for a single serving)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 3/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (or almond milk or whatever type of milk suits you!)
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 5-8 large basil leaves
- Add the chia seeds and coconut milk to blender and soak for 5-10 minutes. Chia seeds should swell and turn gel-like.
- Add strawberries and basil to blender. Puree until smooth.
- Serve immediately (over ice if you used fresh strawberries).