This filling, savory salad is just what you need to stick to your healthy diet. It’s loaded with flavor, but also packs a punch with tons of heart-healthy kale. One cup of kale contains contains a mere 33 calories, but 206 percent of your daily recommend vitamin A (healthy hair and skin), 134 percent of your vitamin C (immune system), and a whopping 680 percent of your vitamin K. Yes, that much! It’s one of the best foods around for fighting inflammation and maintaining healthy bone density. And kale is packed with fiber which will keep you fuller longer, while also aiding in lowering cholesterol. Enjoy kale in this salad and all your salads and feel your best.
Kale, Butternut Squash salad with almonds
- 1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced, raw almonds
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line baking sheet with foil.
- In a small bowl, add 3 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard. Whisk until dressing is combined.
- In medium bowl, combine squash, 2 tbsp olive oil, brown sugar and cinnamon. Toss until coated. Transfer to foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- In the meantime, over high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet. Add kale and cook until slightly wilted. Leaves will turn a bright green, then you know it’s done. Cook time will be able 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Pour most of the dressing on the kale leaves and toss until coated. Transfer to serving bowl. Add roasted squash and almonds. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Also see, Quinoa salad with cranberries and pecans.