These carrots are simple to make but pack tons of flavor. All you need is a stove top and five easy ingredients (plus salt and pepper), and you have yourself a delicious side dish for any holiday meal.
I like to use baby carrots because they save time and always look pretty, but feel free to clean and chop whatever else you have in the fridge. The whole dish can be ready in under 30 minutes. You’ll love this glaze so much, you’ll start imagining what else you can smother in it — salmon? Chicken? Swedish meatballs? Ice cream? But you’ll have to make more, but there is no way you won’t want to lick the bowl clean.
Make sure you choose a liquor you like, because the flavor combo comes across pretty strong — in a good way. The sweetness from the sugar and the heat from the cayenne are great accompaniments to the oaky bite of bourbon.
Sweet and spicy glazed bourbon carrots
- 2.5-3 pounds baby carrots
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup your favorite Bourbon or whiskey
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- dried parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet on high. Careful not to burn. Add carrots and let cook about 4 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Pour bourbon over carrots (careful, it may splash!). Put back on heat and cook about 30 seconds to burn off alcohol. Turn heat down to medium and add the remaining 6 tbsp butter.
- Add brown sugar and stir to help it melt into the butter, bourbon mixture. Cover with lid and let cook about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove lid and add salt, pepper, and cayenne as you like. Add more or less cayenne for heat, depending on your tastes.
- Keep lid off and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Glaze should thicken to a syrup consistency.
- Sprinkle with dried parsley and serve hot.
Also see, Cheesy Broccoli casserole.
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.