Enjoy the taste of the classic cocktail now as a cupcake! These are kid-friendly, and the perfect way to incorporate fresh summer pineapples in your desserts.
You can use canned pineapple, but if you have the time to crush a few slices of fresh pineapple, go for it. You’ll get so much more flavor.
Top with maraschino cherries, extra coconut flakes, and a bright and cheery drink umbrella, and your crew will fall in love with this cute little taste of the tropics.
Piña Colada Cupcakes
- 1 box (15.25 oz) white cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pineapple juice (from the crushed pineapple)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2/3 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- another cup of coconut flakes
- maraschino cherries (with or without stems)
- pineapple wedges cut very tiny
- Drink umbrellas
You also need:
- hand mixer
- 1 or 2 12-count cupcake pans
- cupcake liners
- spoon or scoop
- piping bag and tip (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Recipe makes about 18 cupcakes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, vegetable oil, and crushed pineapple, and beat with a hand mixer until just combined. Add the coconut, pineapple, coconut extract and mix well.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by beating together cream cheese and butter. Next, add the extracts and beat again. Then, add powdered sugar one cup at a time and combine until desired level of sweetness.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Top each with a cherry and pineapple wedge. Sprinkle with extra coconut flakes. Secure pineapple with a toothpick or, alternatively, spear pineapple wedge with the drink umbrella to hold it in place.
- Serve for National Piña Colada Day, July 10, or any day that you want a taste of this tropical treat!