Spinach, ricotta stuffed peppers are just the kind of recipe I like — cheesy, flavorful and easy to make. Best of all, they’re vegetarian, so it’s another satisfying meat-free dish to add to your recipe box (aka Pinterest page) if you’re cutting back.
For the filling, cook up some garlic and onions, then add spinach and season. Mix ricotta and parmesan, then add to the spinach and mix more. Stuff this into 5-6 pepper halves and bake. I also like to toss tomatoes into the pan to get them right to the point that the skin slides off and the juicy middle pops in your mouth.
Serve with rice or pasta if you’re making going for a dinner, but just a pepper, and some tomatoes — and maybe a small slice of bread — can make a fantastic light lunch.
*Note, mushrooms are also a great addition. Chop up some of your favorite fungi and add to the pan with the spinach.
Vegetarian Spinach Ricotta stuffed Peppers
- 3 bell peppers, halved, seeds removed for no heat (whatever color you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 cups packed fresh spinach
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 6 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- In a 9×13 pan, add tomatoes and drizzle with 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Stir to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and spinach and mix with onions. Season with salt and pepper. Let cook until spinach wilts.
- Mix ricotta and parmesan together. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Add the spinach mix to the cheese mix and blend well. Spoon mixture into pepper halves, and place in 9×13 pan alongside tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese, and place in oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops of the peppers are lightly browned.
- Garnish with fresh or dried parsley, and serve. Enjoy!
Adapted from Al dente gourmet.
Shop small kitchen appliances, fun, new gadgets, and more at EverybodyShops.com.