Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein. A 1-ounce serving provides about 3 grams of protein, plus they are full of fiber, so making them a part of your meal can keep you full longer.
These little legumes have become more popular in recent years thanks to an increased interest in Middle Eastern and Indian foods, but the nutty, grainy texture makes them easy to add to almost any type of cooking.
Try them in this creamy (but cream-free) Indian-inspired soup. If you like a little heat, have a bit of your favorite hot sauce ready to drizzle on top. Otherwise, it’s mostly mild, but very flavorful!
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), drained
- 13.5-ounce can light coconut milk
- 14.4 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- handful cilantro leaves (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Combine the chickpeas, coconut milk, tomatoes, apple juice, cilantro, garam masala, and ginger in a blender, and puree until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a deep pan. Add chicken stock and stir. Bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper. Add more to if you like.
- Ladle soup into soup bowls. Add a dollop of yogurt to the center of each and sprinkle with green onion slivers.
- Serve warm.
Also see, Rustic tortellini soup with kale recipe.
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.