Yes, you read that right. This recipe calls for melted chocolate and chickpeas… together! When I learned about “dessert hummus” I couldn’t decide if it was some crazy gimmick or pure, culinary genius. You can now firmly file me in the latter category.
If you’re all about the edible cookie dough trend, or if you can’t stop licking the brownie batter from the bowl, this recipe is definitely for you. No raw eggs here! Just protein-and fiber-packed garbanzos, chocolate, a pinch of flaky salt, and a splash of vanilla. It makes a thick and creamy spread, just like regular hummus, except it’s sweet, so it’s great for smearing on breakfast toast. Use it in place of those unhealthy hazelnut spreads. Dip fresh fruit, pretzels, pitas or eat by the spoonful for a healthier alternative to sweet snacking any time of day.
And try easy Banana Dessert Hummus, too!
5-ingredient Chocolate Dessert Hummus
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans (1 can), drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
- Optional: crushed walnuts, mini chocolate chips, or dried goji berries or other fruit for topping
- Add garbanzo beans and melted chocolate to a food processor. Combine. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add vanilla and salt. Process again until you see the mixture start to resemble the finely ground texture of hummus.
- Transfer to bowl and dip away!