Jump to the fast track on Thanksgiving side dishes and make the most effortless slow cooker mashed potatoes ever. Just set the slow cooker to high, load it with redskin potatoes, add a little water, butter and garlic, and in about four hours you’ll have perfectly rich and flavorful potatoes — no skin peeling and no boiling. Best of all, they’re fairly hands-off, so you’ll be able to use that extra time elsewhere.
Slow Cooker Redskin Mashed Potatoes
Makes about 10-12 servings
- 3 pounds redskin potatoes, scrubbed (leave skin on)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cloves crushed garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- About 1/4 cup milk (more as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Place potatoes in slow cooker along with butter, garlic and water. Set to high for a cook time of 4 hours, then secure the lid.
- After 4 hours, potatoes should be soft enough to smash with a fork with minimal effort. If hard, leave for another hour and check again.
- Add sour cream, Parmesan, milk and thyme to slow cooker and mash together with potatoes using a fork. Add more milk as needed.
- Potatoes are ready to serve. Sprinkle with chives, or extra thyme or Parmesan.