It’s officially soup season. I’ve been going through a pot about every two or three days. Most times I make my own recipes inspired by whatever I have in the fridge. But to ignore other cooks out there, is to miss out on the fun of sharing ideas — and some really fantastic food, too. The name had so many craveable ingredients — brie, cheddar, walnuts, maple, apple cider — I had to try it for myself.
Here is an apple, brie soup recipe I borrowed and altered a bit for my liking. It’s vegetarian and has a healthy punch from the flax and walnuts. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.
*This soup would pair well with a roast beef or portobello sandwich.
Apple, brie soup with walnut crumble
Serves about 6
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 5-6 large apples
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp (maple syrup)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces of brie
- salt and pepper
- 6 tbsp salted butter, (slightly softened)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- For the soup: Pour olive oil into large pot. Add onion and cook on medium heat until translucent and tender, or about 5-7 minutes. Stir often, and don’t let onions brown.
- Add garlic and thyme to pot. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, making sure garlic doesn’t brown.
- Pour broth and cider into the pot. Add the apples and bring the whole pot to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 20 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Add brown sugar, syrup, cheddar and brie. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Ladel about a third of the soup mixture into a blender. Puree on high for about 30-45 seconds. Pour into large soup bowl. Repeat this step twice more with the remaining soup in the pot.
- Taste, and season with pepper and salt if desired.
- For the granola: In a medium bowl, combine butter, flour, salt, sugar and cinnamon. Add oats, flax and walnuts and combine. (Using your hands works best here.) Granola should clump up.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet, spread clumps in an even layer and bake at 375ºF for about 10 minutes. Granola should turn golden brown.
- Stir granola and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve a bowl of steam hot soup, and top with granola mixture.
Apple, brie soup adapted from Closet Cooking, an aptly named blog from a fellow cook with extremely limited kitchen space.
You’ll love this roasted Brussels sprouts recipe with lots of cinnamon and maple.