Crostini literally means “little toasts.” But don’t let that simple translation fool you into thinking this is some bland breakfast. These tiny bites bring big flavor to the party. The sweet pomegranate seeds pair perfectly with the tart cranberries, creamy brie, crunchy baguette and just the right amount of kick from a jalapeño pepper. (You can leave out the pepper if you must, but you’ll miss out on that delicious sweet heat.) It’s the closest thing to appetizer perfection that can come out of your kitchen this holiday.
Cranberry and pomegranate Crostini
- 1 quality baguette, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 8 ounces of brie cheese, softened
Cranberry Relish Ingredients
- 1 pound fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4-1 cup pomegranate arils or seeds
- 1 jalapeño pepper (adjust according to your love of spice), finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with tin foil (the fruit can get pretty sticky so thus helps clean-up time.
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter and olive oil. Brush both sides of the baguette slices with the mixture. Place on baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss cranberries, sugar and jalapeño until coated. Transfer to baking sheet and spread into a single layer.
- Place cranberries in the oven and roast for 5 minutes. Add baguette slices to oven and roast both and at once for another 4-5 minutes. Flip baguettes over and roast for another 3-4 minutes. At this point, baguette slices should be lightly browned and cranberries should have burst open revealing the juices inside. Remove both from oven. Stir cranberry mix, and add to it the pomegranate seeds. Combine the two.
- Top each baguette slice with a small slice of brie and a heaping spoonful of cranberry relish. Top each with a tiny slice of jalapeño for garnish if desired.
- Appetizers can be served hot or room temperature. Cranberries can be made ahead and chilled overnight for a party the next day.
Get groceries delivered for free from everybodycravespantry.com.
Also see, 10 crazy candy cane flavors you won’t even believe.