Between the sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and about a dozen other side dishes, something has to give. After all, you only have one set of hands and one oven. If you’re looking for ways to make Thanksgiving more manageable this year, look no further. Crock pot stuffing is a set-it-and-forget-it recipe that is easy, delicious and decadent.
I know some people like to cook stuffing in the bird, but in our family, that just wouldn’t be enough. We LOVE stuffing, and need lots for leftovers, so we always prepare an extra baked dish of them. The stuffing that cooks inside of the bird is good, but I’ve always loved baked or crock pot kind because it has more texture and some crunch you just cant get cooking inside the bird.
This recipe is so easy to make, but the best part is that it won’t take up precious time in your oven on Thanksgiving Day. I mean, so many dishes are batting for oven time, whatever you can make ahead or make elsewhere, will save your sanity. You can prep this recipe in the morning, or night before, plug it in somewhere out of the way, and voila! It will be ready when it’s time for the feast.
The cranberries and walnuts make this recipe extra special. If you’re making it for the holiday, consider adding them in. You’ll get tons of compliments on your deliciously special stuffing!
Crock pot stuffing
- about 1 pound of stuffing croutons/cubes (about 1 loaf)
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 7-8 large sage leaves (more to garnish)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (+ 1/2 cup on reserve)
- 1 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the butter, in the crock pot and mix well. (If you’re working with a small crock pot, toss in a large bowl, then transfer to crock.) Pour butter over mixture.
- Set crock pot to cook on high for 2.5-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. Check on stuffing 2/3 of the way done and stir. If it needs a little more moisture, add another 1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth to the pot, stir, and finish cooking.
- Happy Thanksgiving!
If you like this, try mashed potatoes in the crock pot, too!
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.