Jump to the fast track on Thanksgiving side dishes and make the most effortless mashed potatoes ever. Just set the slow cooker to high, load it with redskin potatoes, add a little water, butter and garlic, and in about four hours you’ll have perfectly rich and flavorful potatoes — no skin peeling and no boiling. Best of all, they’re fairly hands-off, so you’ll be able to use that extra time elsewhere.
Slow Cooker Redskin Mashed Potatoes
Makes about 10-12 servings
- 3 pounds redskin potatoes, scrubbed (leave skin on)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cloves crushed garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- About 1/4 cup milk (more as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Place potatoes in slow cooker along with butter, garlic and water. Set to high for a cook time of 4 hours, then secure the lid.
- After 4 hours, potatoes should be soft enough to smash with a fork with minimal effort. If hard, leave for another hour and check again.
- Add sour cream, Parmesan, milk and thyme to slow cooker and mash together with potatoes using a fork. Add more milk as needed.
- Potatoes are ready to serve. Sprinkle with chives, or extra thyme or Parmesan.