If you’ve struggled making hard boiled eggs before, you’re not alone. The runny whites, the greenish yolk rings, the cracked shells—we’ve all been there. But stress no more! Instant pot hard boiled eggs are quick, simple, flawless, and fool-proof! Seriously. They will cook perfectly every single time. Take this recipe and turn them into devilishly delicious deviled eggs or creamy Healthy Avocado Egg salad.
A few tips first:
- Directions are for a 6 quart Instant Pot. If you’re using one smaller or larger, your times may need adjusted.
- Also, times listed are for large eggs. Medium eggs should reduce times by 1 minute.
- Start with refrigerated eggs for best results.
How to Hard Boil Eggs in an Instant Pot
Step 1: Prepare an ice bath and set aside. This will stop eggs from cooking further once removed from Instant Pot. It also helps the shell peel off easier.
Step 2: Fix the Instant Pot wire rack in place and fill pot with 1 cup of water. Place up to a dozen eggs on the rack, careful that they aren’t touching the water.
Step 3: Seal lid and select “high pressure” setting. Set timer for desired level of doneness. Pot takes about 5 minutes to reach pressure before time starts countdown. (So total time until cooked is your time selected below + 5 minutes.)
- Soft boiled (cooked egg whites with a wet, runny yolk): 5-8 minutes
- Medium boiled (fully cooked whites with a tender, often creamy yolk): 6-8 minutes
- Hard boiled (cooked whites, dry yolk): 9-10 minutes
Step 4: As soon as your timer is up, use a mitt or hand protection to switch lever to “venting” option. Hot steam will release. When pressure has been released and pressure indicator has dropped, it’s safe to remove lid. Use rubber-tipped tongs to transfer eggs to ice bath.
Step 5: Let eggs rest about 5 minutes in ice bath before peeling.
Also see, Cracking through 8 myths about eggs.