I know what you’re thinking. It’s not technically even fall yet.
If you’re one of those people who can’t even look at a pumpkin until September 21, then I advise you to temporarily seek recipes elsewhere. I’m about to blow up this blog with pumpkin recipes — this Pumpkin Banana smoothie is just the beginning.
I love using a bit of pumpkin puree in my fall breakfast smoothies. It’s an easy way to add fiber and flavor while getting in a festive mood. Plus, pumpkin is packed with protein, rich in antioxidants, and high in vitamin A.
One trick I can’t emphasize enough is freezing your fruit — or even just half of it. So, say your recipe calls for berries and bananas — make sure your berries are frozen and use a fresh banana. Freezing at least one of your fruits can save you from having to water your recipe down with ice. Ice means less delicious flavor in each slurp!
Pumpkin Banana smoothie
Makes 1 serving
- 2 tbsp canned pumpkin puree (I like Libby’s brand)
- 1 banana, peeled and frozen
- 1/4 cup skim or almond milk (more as needed)
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp liquid sweetener (like honey, maple syrup, or agave)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tbsp crushed pumpkin seeds
Note: Add your favorite plain or vanilla protein powder for an even more nutritious punch.
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender.
- Blend on high for about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides and blend again for another 30 seconds, or as needed. (Add more milk for a thinner consistency.)
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds on top for show.
- Serve immediately.
Can’t eat bananas? Try this pumpkin smoothie recipe instead.