If you have a love of all things lemon, then this easy recipe will quickly become your new favorite go-to. It’s just six simple ingredients — including the crust. Waiting for the pan to cool before cutting into the lemon bars is honestly the hardest part.
The sweet and tart flavors and the cheery yellow color make this dessert perfect for spring. Try it with lime juice instead for a unique twist on this classic recipe, or omit the poppyseed if they’re not your thing.
lemon bars with poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 12 tbsp cold butter, cut in small chunks
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds + 1 tsp.
Ingredients, Lemon filling
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the crust, add the sugar, flour and butter to a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until pieces are no bigger than Kosher salt. Dough will be dry. (Alternatively, run these three ingredients through a food processor to combine.) Sprinkle in 1 tbsp poppy seed and stir.
- Firmly press crust mixture into the pan, taking care to make as evenly as possible. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For the filling, add the 1/4 cup flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest in a bowl and whisk well. Let mixture sit for about 15 minutes while crust finishes baking.
- When crust is finished, whisk lemon mixture briefly again, as sugar may have settled, and pour mixture on top of crust. Return to oven for about 20-24 minutes. Careful the tops don’t brown.
- Tops should be set when you remove from oven. Sprinkle with remaining poppy seeds and let cool.
Also see, Kale spinach pear lemonade.
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.