10 Things you should never microwave

The microwave is a magical place. Frozen dinners, hot water, and leftovers all become ready in mere minutes. Every year they save us countless hours of cooking and put that time back into our busy lives. Microwaves were probably even the first way you learned to feed yourself warm food as a kid. But just because microwave ovens are ubiquitous in homes, doesn’t mean they can’t be dangerous. From leaching heavy metals into foods to starting fires, there are a number of things that just can’t be microwaved. Here are a few you should look out for: MEAT If you forgot to defrost your chicken thighs in the fridge the night before, it can be tempting to toss them in the microwave for a while to speed up the process. But this simple step could actually be exposing you to harmful bacteria. Microwaves aren’t great at distributing heat, so thinner edges on your cut of…

Watch your black licorice intake, FDA warns

This week as you’re snacking on Reese’s cups and Snickers in a post-Halloween candy coma, remember there is one candy you really can overdose on — black licorice. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) encourages people to remember during this candy-centric time of year, that if you enjoy snacking on this old-fashioned favorite, to do it in moderation, particularly if you are over 40. FDA experts say glycyrrhizin, a sweetening compound found in black licorice that can cause potassium levels to fall in the body. With low potassium levels, some people will experience lethargy, abnormal heart rhythms or even congestive heart failure. If you’re a fan of back licorice, the FDA offers advice: No matter your age, don’t eat copious amounts of black licorice at a time. If you develop any of the symptoms listed above such as an irregular heartbeat or muscle weakness, stop eating the black licorice immediately…