Rice Krispie Treats might already be your go-to when you need a quick treat for a kid’s birthday party or snack for the class, but this holiday season, dress them up a bit for a brand new take on the old classic. They’ll look just as good in your kid’s lunchbox as they will on the buffet table at your holiday party.
I made red and green Rice Krispie ornaments, but you could easily adapt to make them match the color scheme of your holiday decor — blues or purples. Leave some without food coloring for an all natural golden ornament look.
I sprinkled in some golden sugar sprinkle for extra shine, but the photo doesn’t pick up on it well. Add sprinkles in the colors of your choice for extra customization. I could even see them decorated with piped white chocolate for more fun and flavor.
The Rolos were actually really easy to find. I’m not sure I ever bought a bag before, but I found tons of them in the Target candy aisle a week before Thanksgiving.
Make these holiday ornament Rice Krispie treats and make the holidays a little merrier!
Holiday Ornament Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 box of Rice Krispies Cereal
- 20 ounces small marshmallows (usually 2 standard sized bags)
- Green food coloring
- Red food coloring
- Rolo candies
- Oil or butter (for your hands)
- Place a large sheet of parchment or wax paper off to the side.
- In a medium pot on low heat, melt half of the butter.
- Add half of the marshmallows (1 bag) and 10-15 drop os green food coloring and stir constantly until marshmallows have completely melted. Remove from heat
- Add half of the cereal and keep stirring until cereal is coated.
- Dump cereal contents onto wax paper.
- Coat your hands with butter or oil.
- Using your hands or using additional wax paper, roll cereal mixture into 2-inch balls and set aside.
- Press a Rolo in to the top of each.
- Repeat steps 1 through 8, replacing the color in step 3 for red, or any other colors you choose.
Also see, 10 crazy candy cane flavors you won’t even believe.
Get groceries delivered for free from everybodycravespantry.com.