This pumpkin bisque soup is made with ingredients you likely already have at your house. Isn’t it great when that happens? No special stop at the grocery store required — just get right to cooking, and this soup will be ready in 20 minutes.
This recipe is perfect for cool, crisp October and November when everyone is craving pumpkin. But it’s easy enough, you’ll be tempted to make it all year long. It’s so tasty, there’s no reason not to!
There is a hint of curry, but if it’s not your favorite, don’t be alarmed. It’s a fairly subtle flavor. The same goes for the coconut milk. They’re there, but they’re not overpowering. This recipe can easily be adapted to be vegan — just use vegetable broth. It’s also naturally dairy-free, so it’s great for serving when you’re not totally sure the modern day diets of your group of family or friends. It would even be great as a Thanksgiving Day light lunch or accompaniment to leftovers the next day. (Think, dunking turkey sandwich!)
Easy cream free pumpkin bisque
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mild curry
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more of less depending on your spicy preference)
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- optional: pepitas or parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, on medium heat, pour oil.
- Add onion and saute for about 5-6 minutes or until onion turns translucent and begins to brown.
- Add chicken stock, pumpkin, coconut milk, salt, curry, ginger, cumin, nutmeg, and cayenne and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In small batches, ladle soup into blender. Blend until smooth. (Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender right in the pot.) Pour soup into large bowl or serving container.
- Serve immediately.
- Top with more cayenne, pepitas or parmesan cheese.
Also see, Dill Pickle Soup.
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.