The holidays are the perfect time to kick your table decorating game up a notch. You’ve spent hours scouring Pinterest to help you create the perfect holiday menu. You’ve dropped serious dough on extra serving platters, and you’ve cleaned corners of your house you never knew needed cleaning. Now is no time for holding back.
Folding napkins is such a festive way to add some extra fun to the party. It’s quick, easy, and can make you feel like you really have it all together. If you need some inspiration, here are three holiday napkin folding ideas that will impress your guests — even if you’re drinking out of plastic champagne flutes. We can’t win them all, but you can have cute napkins!
Will work with either cloth or paper napkins. This fold works best for sit-down dinners.
1. Fold your square napkin in half. Then fold it in half again to make a square.
2. Angle like a diamond, so the openings are at the bottom. Then, fold each layer up to the top, being sure to leave about an inch between each fold.
3. Holding the folds in place, flip the whole thing over.
4. Fold each side over. Remember to align the top of each panel to form a triangular space at the top of the napkin.
5. Flip the napkin back over, holding it tight so it doesn’t come undone. Fold each layer upward. For the bottom four folds, tuck under the fold above.
Works with either paper or heavily starched napkins. This one works great with buffet style dinners.
1. Fold napkin in half, then fold in half again.
2. Fold from corner to corner to create a light crease going diagonal through the napkin.
3. Fold back one open corner so the point touches the center. Press flat. Fold that same segment down so it meets the center fold.
4. Repeat with the next layer down, folding corner to touch the outer side of the first fold. Fold that segment over to create a second pleat.
5. Turn the napkin over.
6. Fold the right side back down about 1/3 of the way and press down.
7. Fold the left side of the back about 1/2 way and press down.
8. Flip over and insert utensils into the pocket.
You can pull this fold off with either cloth or paper, but cloth looks much more realistic — it is a shoe after all! This is great for place settings where you want to give each guest a small candy treat or trinket.
1. Fold napkin in half vertically.
2. Fold napkin in half vertically again.
3. Crease the center.
4. Fold each flap up (like an airplane).
5. Starting at the center points, fold each side adjacent to the middle (another airplane fold).
6. Rotate once to face sideways and fold bottom half up to meet the top.
7. Flip napkin so the opening of the “toe/shoe” part is at the bottom (toward you).
8. Fold top flap up.
9. Fold separate bottom flap over the top flap and tuck it into the fold of the “shoe” part of this fold.
10. Stand upright. Fold top part down to create top/sock part of shoe.
Also see, 19 Fun Facts about Champagne.
Get groceries that fit your New Year’s Resolution delivered for free from everybodycravespantry.com.