Cooking as part of my job means that I — thankfully — don’t have to rely on too much take-out to keep myself and my fiancé fed. However, no matter how much food I’ve prepared at home, we have one serious take-out weak spot — Indian food.
Seriously. When that intense Indian food craving calls, off to the buffet (or online ordering app) we go.
We can get incredible Indian food at a little restaurant called Taj Mahal just a five minute drive away. They pretty much win Best Indian Restaurant in Pittsburgh every year, so I know we’re not alone in our obsession.
While my cooking doesn’t come close to their 25 years of expertise in the biz, this Chickpea Tikka Masala recipe can hold us over, so we feel the need to get Taj take-out just a teensy bit less. Plus, the chick peas and coconut milk mean this recipe is entirely vegan! Which is great even for meat eaters — Whip up this delicious weeknight dish and take the day off from worrying about what animals products you’re putting in your body. It’s so satisfying, you’ll never miss the meat.
Vegan chickpea tikka masala
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp hot pepper flakes (adjust to your preferred level of spiciness)
- 2 tsp salt
- 3-4 dried chili peppers
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 24-30 ounces tomato puree
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
Serve with: Rice, naan, cilantro
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 3 minutes. Add seasonings and salt and stir well, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add dried chili peppers, chickpeas, tomato puree, and coconut milk. Stir well.
- Let simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until sauce thickens up a bit.
- Serve over rice with a side of naan. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Then, whip up this cool, creamy Mango Lassi to serve as a side with your Chickpea Tikki Masala.
Also see, Easy slow cooker Chicken Tikka Masala.