Swap your favorite smoothie glass for a bowl and spoon this morning.
If you’ve never tried a smoothie bowl, you’re in for some food fun. I like to do this variation on the classic when I have produce just too beautiful for the blender. I’ll use a mostly unsweetened smoothie base, heavy on greens, and I’ll top it with naturally sweet fruits and nuts.
To make, combine almond milk with your favorite vibrant leafy greens. I used kale, but you could do any number of variations — spinach, arugula and maybe even a bit of parsley. This recipe is actually a great way to use up whatever odd portions of produce you have in your fridge.
I topped mine with tangy, tropical kiwi and coconut, banana and almond slices, and chia seeds for additional protein. I like the texture they bring to the smoothie bowl as well.
Green Goodness Smoothie Bowl
- 3/4 cup almond (or coconut) milk
- 3-4 medium leaves of kale (with stem)
- 1 cup ice
- 1 banana (1/2 for smoothie, 1/2 sliced for topping)
- 1 kiwi (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 ounce chia seeds
- Place coconut milk, almond milk, kale, ice and 1/2 banana in blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into cereal bowl. Top with banana slices, kiwi slices, kiwi, coconut and chia. Serve immediately.