This elegant appetizer is easy enough to prepare, you’ll whip it up party after party. Pour your guests some Chardonnay and snack on these salmon bites to get the engagement going!
Notes: Substitute Italian bread if that’s what you have on hand. Also, you can use goat cheese instead of butter, or chives or capers instead of dill — all delicious alternatives.
Smoked salmon crostini bites with mustard butter and dill
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill + 1 tbsp chopped dill for garnish
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 long, thin French baguette, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- About 10 ounces of best quality smoked salmon, thinly sliced and cut into 1-to 2-inch pieces
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Position baguette slices in a single layer on on a cookie sheet. Toast in oven about 8 minutes on each side, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a small bowl, beat butter until softened. Add mustards, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1 tbsp dill, salt, and pepper, and beat until combined.
- Butter toast with a thick spread of mustard butter, then top each with a slice of salmon. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of chopped dill.
- Arrange on a platter or serving tray and impress at your next party!
Also see, Crispy Tortellini Appetizer with a kick.