Who would have thought watermelon and jalapeño would be such a delicious pair? What’s better, is that this quick condiment only requires six ingredients.
I’ve been experimenting with a lot of watermelon lately, so get ready for quite a few juicy recipes coming up.. This one was one of my favorites, since it’s a perfect match-up of sweet and spicy, combined with saltiness from the chips.
I’ve only tried it as a salsa so far, but I could see this going great with grilled chicken or fish, or atop a grilled vegetable dinner.
Serves 6-8: Prep time 10 min
- 4 cups watermelon (seedless, or seeds removed and chopped)
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup red onion (about 1/2 large onion, chopped)
- 2 medium jalapeños (remove seeds for less heat, chopped)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut in half
- salt (to taste)
- Add watermelon, cucumber, onion, jalapeño and cilantro to large bowl. Using a folding technique, mix ingredients until distributed evenly.
- Squeeze lime halves over contents of bowl. Add salt if desired.
- Refrigerator for at least an hour to let flavors blend.
- Eat it up!