Cranberries can turn just about anything into a festive side dish. I’m definitely guilty of overusing the little red seasonal berries, but I can’t get enough of their sweet, tart taste this time of year. Roasted butternut squash is good on its own, but trust me, it’s made better by a little juicy pop.
I learned a saying years ago — “If it grows together, it goes together.” (It’s actually pretty common in the gardening and food world nowadays.) I think about it often when I pair foods. And it’s so true. Strawberries and rhubarb; tomatoes and basil; squash and cranberries. They both peak this time of year and are a perfect pair.
I purchased some pre sliced squash at the grocery store the other day. I couldn’t resist. It was on super sale since it was about to go bad. That meant I needed to use it up right away.
Procrastinator that I am, I didn’t. Two days go by, and butternut squash squares still sat in my fridge. The next day I knew I needed to move it or lose it, as they say.
And that’s how this incredibly simple side dish was born. Toss roasted squash with cranberries and goat cheese. As a nearly vegetarian, vegetables and cheese are sort of my speciality. One can never have too many delicious ways to eat veggies.
Roasted butternut squash with cranberries and goat cheese
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- pinch dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Set oven to 400ºF.
- Lightly coat baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add squash to baking sheet and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper. Lightly toss.
- Roast in oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add cranberries and walnuts to the baking sheet. Roast for another 10-15 minutes, or until the cranberries begin to soften and burst.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with cinnamon (add more or less to your preference).
- Transfer to serving bowl or plate.
- Crumble goat cheese over top of the dish. Garnish with parsley for serving (if desired).
- Serve hot.
Also see, Cheesy Broccoli casserole.
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.