Think you don’t like Brussels sprouts? This recipe will change your mind.
Brussels sprouts have made a major comeback, and for a good reason. They’re loaded with vitamin C, antioxidants, folate and fiber that will help keep you full and regular while lowering your change of heart disease and stroke. But if all you’ve had are mushy green sprouts soaking in some flavorless liquid, no wonder you don’t list them among your favorite foods.
The key to enjoying brussels is the texture acquired while roasting. Brussels have thin leaves that become addictively crispy when done right — like a more filling kale chip. Blanching brussels first allows you to roast them at a higher temperature and achieve maximum crispiness.
This gluten-free, vegetarian side dish of Brussels sprouts, cinnamon, squash, cranberries and pecans is a perfect addition to the Thanksgiving table — or any table.
Brussels Sprouts salad with fall flavors
About 6 servings
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, yellow leaves removed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium sized yellow squash, washed and quartered
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 1/4 cup organic cranberries
- salt and pepper
- Bowl of ice water
- For blanching: Wash the Brussels sprouts under cold water and drop them into a pot of boiling water. Let boil for about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove sprouts from water and drop immediately into a bowl of ice water.
- Remove from ice water and cut brussels sprouts in half. Toss with 3 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper until evenly coated.
- Place on foil-lined cookie sheet, flat side down, and roast in oven at 400ºF for about 20-25 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, turn them over for more even browning.
- For the squash: In a medium bowl, combine squash, 1 tbsp olive oil, maple syrup and cinnamon and toss. Spread single layer of squash evenly on foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until soft. (You can roast both vegetables at the same time using different baking sheets on the same rack.)
- Remove vegetables from oven and let cool 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, combine Brussels sprouts and squash. Add in cranberries and pecans and gently fold until well mixed.
Get healthy ingredients shipped for free from everybodycravespantry.com.