If you’re a fan of the Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole — that delicious dessert disguised as a vegetable — you’ll go crazy for these cute, bite-sized sweet potato appetizers. Serve them before dinner or alongside it for an updated take on this old-fashioned favorite.
Cook time is almost no time, so you can serve these hot whenever you would like. This recipe is so simple, you might even make them beyond Thanksgiving day. Just wash and slice one or two medium-sized sweet potatoes. Cook. Top with marshmallow pieces, pecans, cinnamon and syrup and enjoy. It tastes just like the real thing — but everyone knows finger foods are so much more fun.
Sweet potato bites
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
- 2 medium thickness sweet potatoes
- about 7-8 large marshmallows (cut in thirds)
- cooking spray
- 20-30 pecan halves
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut marshmallows in coin-shaped thirds. Set aside.
- Slice sweet potatoes in 1/4-1/2 inch slices. Place potato slices on baking sheet and cook in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Turn slices and heat for another 8-10 minutes. Potatoes should be tender. A fork should easily puncture the middle.
- Top each slice with a marshmallow.
- Return potatoes to oven and broil on high for 40-60 seconds or until marshmallows brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately top with a pecan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
For great ingredients that fit your healthy diet and lifestyle, everybodycravespantry.com.