The days are getting longer, and that only means one thing — grilling season! Soon, we’ll be digging out our favorite fuss-free appliance from the garage and firing up the coals. Ah, sweet summertime is almost here.
Grilling season calls for lots of different steak and burger recipes and seasonings. Rather than pay a premium for one small seasoning shaker, make your own mix at home. You’ll save money and be able to customize the blend.
Montreal Steak Seasoning is one popular steak rub that can be found at nearly any grocery store nationwide. The unique blend and coarse texture make it great for sprinkling on steaks, burgers, hash browns, baked potatoes, salmon, or even roasted veggies.
You can make it in no time with a mortar and pestle or spice mill, but if you don’t have one of those handy, have no fear. You can toss your spices in a zipped baggie and crush them with a heavy rolling pin.
How to make Montreal Steak Seasoning
Makes about 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coarse plus 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp dried minced garlic
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp dill seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Combine all ingredients and grind with a mortar and pestle or spice mill. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a zip top bag and crush with a rolling pin or heavy cast-iron skillet.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.