If you want a fancy-yet-easy main dish, look no further than baked salmon fillets. It can be a midweek date go-to as much as it can be an al fresco meal with friends, or even a romantic night in. Salmon pretty much always suits the occasion.
This baked salmon comes out beautifully with little-to-no effort. The marinade is an interesting blend of sweet and sour flavors. It’s similar to a teriyaki sauce, though it takes its main spice ingredients from Chinese and Thai cuisine.
Also try these Spicy Thai tuna stuffed avocados.
To cook, let your fillets soak up the marinade for about 2 hours before baking (no less than 30 minutes), then place in preheated oven (350ºF). Even thick salmon fillets cook quickly, so don’t stray too far from the kitchen. As a rule of thumb, salmon needs four to six minutes cook time per half-inch of thickness. Start checking around eight minutes in. Fish is done when it flakes easy with a fork and the flesh goes from transparent to opaque.
Try serving with these slow cooker mashed potatoes.
Honey soy glazed salmon
- 2-3 salmon fillets
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 limes, halved
You will also need:
- Baking dish large enough for your fillets
- Baking dish lid or foil to cover
- Rice or potatoes for serving (optional)
- Rinse salmon fillets under cool running water. Pat dry and place in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy, hoisin, honey, garlic, red pepper flakes, and juice of 1/2 lime.
- Pour sauce over salmon and turn until well-coated. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350ºF. Spoon sauce over top of fillets, recover, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until inner flesh of salmon is opaque and sauce is lightly bubbling. If undercooked, return to oven and check every 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon sauce over each piece. Taste-test: If too sweet or salty, try adding a few more squirts of lime juice. For more heat, add some additional chili flakes. More sweetness? Add a drizzle of honey.
- Sprinkle finished filets with green onion slices and serve.
Also try this Smoked salmon crostini bites appetizer.