Discounts can lead you to make some questionable choices. In one of those “I’m totally saving money” moments, I purchased an enormous jar of capers for two bucks at the market a few months ago. (It was 150 servings!) My love of the little briny flower buds is strong, but how many cups of capers can one person honestly eat? Since my excessive purchase, I’ve let them be my muse. You’d think a recipe like the one below would have started with the citrus at its center. But actually, it was the salty capers that lead me in. But no matter where you start in a recipe, it’s the final product that matters most.
This recipe works all year round. Make it in the winter when citrus is in peak season. Or whip it up in summer when we have an endless appetite for all things fruity. The sour to semi-sweet grapefruit pairs perfectly with the smooth, creamy avocado and salty capers. It’s truly a spot on flavor combination for anytime you need a healthy dose of vitamin C.
Grapefruit, avocado, caper salad
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Parsley flakes (for garnish)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cut avocado in half, remove seed. Scoop flesh away from rind in one solid motion, as to leave the pear shape intact. Slice in 1/4″ sections. Set aside.
- Cut a small area from both ends of your grapefruit to give you a flat surface to prevent fruit from rolling. Beginning at the top flat area, cut grapefruit peel and pith away from fruit as closely as possible. Avoid squeezing the fruit as you do this as to not let the juices out.
- When all the white areas are cut away, slice the grapefruit in 1/4″ – 1/2″ slices. Then, cut in half to create half-moons.
- On a clean plate or platter, alternate slices of grapefruit with slices of avocado.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and parsley flakes on top.
- Finish with a sprinkling of capers and a drizzling of olive oil.
- Serve immediately.
Also see, Citrus, pistachio, pomegranate salad.
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.