Some people can pull off elaborate cakes that look like perfect American flags. Those works of art are inspiring, but hardly practical. For the party host who wants to add patriotic flair to the table, without staying up too late the night before, here is a simple recipe solution. These fruit and pound cake kabobs make for a cute and tasty table-topper. Just wash some berries, cube your favorite white cake (vanilla cake, angel food cake, etc.) and skewer away!
To make this even easier, I used a store-bought vanilla pound cake. You can also use blueberries and strawberries instead if you prefer. Happy summer holidays!
American Flag fruit kabobs
Makes 10 kabobs
- Approx. 50 raspberries, washed and dried
- Approx. blackberries, washed and dried
- 10 long skewers
- 1 half loaf of poundcake or angel food cake, cut in 3/4″ cubes
- Starting with a red raspberry, alternate red raspberries and pound cake, making sure to end with a red raspberry.
- Repeat for 6 skewers.
- Skew 4 blackberries, then alternate red raspberries and pound cake to align with your other skewers.
- Repeat for 4 skewers.
- Arrange in an American flag pattern (See photo).
- Serve. Happy Memorial Day!
Also see, Mixed berry pretzel salad.