Sweet and tangy flavors are so on trend this year. Everywhere you look, popular chefs and major food companies are coming out with incredible new items inspired by the combo: Think Sriracha honey or sweet chipotle. This honey mustard chicken recipe is right on the mark. It’s a delicious combination of sweet honey and tangy mustard, with just a touch of heat.
Choose either boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, but whatever you choose, it’s probably going to fall apart in the Crock-Pot — it’s just that moist. Serve with rice, pasta, on a sandwich, or with steamed veggies if you’re all about the low carb life. This chicken and this sauce will taste great no matter how you eat it.
Actually this sauce was so fantastic with shrimp, I needed something else to put it on! Try one when you have time to set a Crock-Pot, and the other when you need a quick 20-minute meal.
Also, I must add, this chicken makes for amazing leftovers. Some foods just get better and better. This is definitely a crave-worthy next-day lunch. So double the recipe and be ready for your work week with healthy, tasty meal prepped lunches.
Easy, sweet and tangy Crock Pot honey mustard chicken
- About 2.5 boneless chicken
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 tbsp distilled vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 green onions, sliced
- In a Crock Pot, add honey, soy sauce, mustards, vinegar, garlic, cayenne pepper, and black pepper and stir well. Taste and season with more pepper if needed.
- Add chicken to Crock and smother with sauce until coated. Submerge as best at possible.
- Set the Crock Pot to high and cook for 4 to 5 hours. (For a slower cook, set on low for 6 hours.)
- Check on the chicken about half way through the cook time, and stir and cover with sauce — this helps keep the chicken juicy.
- About 1/2 hour before the end of cook time, mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl, and add to Crock Pot. this will help thicken the sauce. (If you don’t care for a thicker sauce, omit this step.)
- Top with green onions. Serve hot.