Before we know it, colder temperatures will descend upon us. First chilly, windy fall. Then snow, ice, and slush. You can hardly wait, right?
Well, if there is one thing to look forward to as the weather cools, it’s warm, delicious slow cooker recipes — the kind that give you the perfect excuse to cozy up inside on the couch and finish up your Netflix binge. Slow cookers are ideal because they magically turn ingredients from nothing into a delicious, flavorful meal. Plus you get credit for cooking, and reap all of the rewards, when you’ve really been lazy all day.
This is a simple recipe that benefits from a long, slow simmer, so once you dump you ingredients into the pot, let cook and go about your day.
Chicken, or paneer, tikka masala is probably one of my favorite foods on earth right now. I can’t get enough! But I haven’t found an Indian restaurant that delivers — and on cold winter nights, that’s a problem. I knew I needed to prepare for the most difficult of all winter dilemmas — battle the elements and go out to eat, or stay inside but miss out on that creamy, spicy sauce? With this recipe, I’m prepared for option 3: Stay at home and eat most delicious chicken tikka masala dish ever.
Easy slow cooker chicken tikka masala
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs hormone-free chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 29-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- juice of 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
- 2-3 tbsp cornstarch
- Lightly coat the inside of your slow cooker with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add chicken, along with all ingredients (except lemon juice, heavy cream and cornstarch). Toss until ingredients are combined and chicken is well coated.
- Transfer bowl contents into the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- After cooking time has completed, in a small bowl, mix lemon juice, cornstarch and heavy cream. Pour into slow cooker and let cook an extra 20-30 minutes, or until sauce thickens up slightly.
- Serve warm with rice. Enjoy!
Note: Leftovers are fantastic. The longer this dish has to sit, the better it is. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.