Chicken Parmesan is a family favorite. It’s a classic dish that takes pan fried chicken breasts then tops them with tomato sauce and smothers them in cheese before baking. What comes out is deliciously golden brown and bubbly — what’s not to love?
This chicken parmesan recipe — with its fresh mozzarella and homemade tomato sauce — will make you look like you spent hours in the kitchen, when really, you’ll have the prep work done in about 15 minutes.
Serve chicken parm with fettuccini or other pasta or even rice or mashed potatoes for an easy weeknight dinner. If you’re whipping this up in the summer, don’t miss the opportunity to sprinkle on some delicious fresh basil.
Easy chicken parmesan recipe
Makes 6 servings
For the chicken:
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan (plus more for garnish)
- 2-3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken cutlets
- vegetable oil
- 6 ounces fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped basil, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Prepare for breading the chicken by getting out three large mixing bowls (or I like to use three pie pans). Fill the first with flour. Fill the second bowl with the beaten eggs. Fill the third bowl with panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, and Parmesan, and mix well using a fork.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper, then coat each piece of chicken in flour, making sure to coat entirely, but shake off the excess.
- Next, dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, and then into the bread crumb mixture. Set aside on a plate. Repeat for all chicken cutlets.
- Fill a deep cast-iron pan with 1/4″ vegetable oil, and heat over medium-high heat. While pan is hot (but careful not to let smoke), add chicken cutlets. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip and cook 3-4 minutes on the second side. Transfer cooked chicken cutlets to a paper towel-lined plate or pan to drain.
- Meanwhile, get the sauce started. In a medium pot on medium heat, add oil, onion and garlic. Cook for about 4 minutes before adding tomatoes and water. Season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from head and add basil. Stir.
- Pour sauce into a 9×13″ baking dish until it fills about half way. Place cooked chicken into the sauce and top with mozzarella slices.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melty. For added color, broil for 3 minutes or until cheese acquires a golden brown color.
- Top with more chopped basil.
- Eat right away!
Shop crock pots, small kitchen appliances and fun gadgets at EverybodyShops.com.