This time of year, the citrus brought in from across the southern states is at its peak. And wow, is it good. It’s the perfect balance between tart and sweet, and it helps brings a bright pop of color and flavor to those of us living under grey winter skies.
An orange at anytime is a pretty good snack, but sometimes you want something a little more special, or something fun you can share. This unique citrus salad checks both those boxes. Make it as a side dish to dinner or prepare a platter for your next party. Either way, it will be a big hit, and it will most certainly be something different.
* Feel free to mix up the citrus. The salad works great with anything from tangerines, blood oranges or even limes.
Citrus, pistachio, pomegranate salad
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup pistachios, crushed
- small bunch of mint leaves
- Slice the rinds off of all of the citrus and gently remove the white pith inside. Then slice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch sections. Arrange slices on a large platter.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, water and vanilla. Stir until honey has dissolved. Pour over citrus platter.
- Sprinkle pistachios over everything. Add mint leaves throughout.