Blueberry season in North America runs from April through September, so now is the time to start enjoying those plump, juicy, blueberries in everything from salads and smoothies to muffins and more.
These fresh blueberry bars are a quick and easy tasty treat. Every bite is bursting with blueberry flavor and crunchy walnut pieces. So give into those first cravings for fresh summer flavors and try this delicious blueberry bar recipe.
Fresh blueberry bars
Makes about 16 bars
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup), room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp quality vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Lemon zest from 1 large lemon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9×13 inch pan or line pan with aluminum foil to make bars easy to remove.
In a large bowl, beat together sugar and butter (and lemon zest) until mixed. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Beat until blended. Dough will be very sticky.
- Add blueberries and walnuts and fold until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Move dough to the 9×13 inch pan. Using spatula or your hands, press dough to cover the entire. Dough will be sticky to the touch and will be a bit difficult to spread. Try your best to spread evenly. The dough will spread a bit during baking and will even out some on its own.
- Bake for 34-42 minutes. Mine were ready at about 36 minutes. The top should have a light brown crust. Bars are done when they a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool. Cut into desired bar size and sift powdered sugar on top.
Also see, Easy banana bread in under an hour.