Farmers markets everywhere are still brimming with vibrant beets and crunchy apples. Put them together in this delicious Beet Apple Walnut Fall Harvest salad.
See what else is still in season in November.
The crisp combo of tart apples and earthy sweet roasted beets is the perfect way to continue to enjoy the best flavors of fall as we head into the second half of the season. Serve as a side salad to your weeknight meal or earmark this one as a fresh new surprise for the Thanksgiving table. It’s easy enough and pretty enough for just about any occasion.
But don’t think this salad is just about looks.
Beets are a low calorie root veggie with an impressive record: they can help keep your blood pressure in check, improve athletic performance, fight inflammation, improve digestion, support brain health, and they may even have some cancer fighting potential thanks to their antioxidant content and anti-inflammatory properties.
So there you go. Enjoy this healthy, colorful salad while the season lasts.
Beet apple walnut salad
- 4 large beets
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (or avocado oil) + more a drizzle roasting beets
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- To roast the beets: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a square baking dish with aluminum foil, leaving enough hanging over to wrap beets entirely later. Places beets in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with thyme, salt and pepper. Roast beets until tender, or about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let cool, then peel and slice.
- In a large bowl, add olive oil, vinegar, worcestershire, and mustard, then season with a bit of salt and pepper. Whisk ingredients together. Add beet and apple slices to bowl and toss until coated.
- Transfer to large platter for serving, then sprinkle with toasted walnuts pieces.
Also see, Festive olive wreath holiday appetizer.