Christmas cookies take all the glory, but I say there is nothing better than fall baking. The smell of this apple cinnamon bread is mouth-watering. It will float out of your door and into the street, mixing with the cool, crisp fall air — De-lightful!
As far as quick breads go, this recipe is a bit more involved. It’s still very easy to make, it just has a longer ingredients list thanks to the streusel topping — but trust me. The crunch you get from those toasted oats and brown sugar is worth the extra step.
I like to use Granny Smiths in almost every apple recipe I make, but just about any apple should do the trick here. I’ve used Granny, Rome, Gala, and even Honeycrisp before — all amazing.
Apple cinnamon streusel bread
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large apple, coarsely grated
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
for the streusel:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp cold butter
- Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat over to 350ºF (175ºC).
- In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, apple butter, vanilla, 1 tbsp cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg, and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and lightly mix. Then add half the buttermilk and lightly mix. Repeat with remaining halves until combined.
- Add walnuts and shredded apples and fold.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- For the streusel: In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup flour, rolled oats, 2 tbsp white sugar, brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon together. Add 4 tbsp of cold butter into the mix and cut until crumbly.
- Sprinkle streusel over top of the batter.
- Bake for about 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center can come out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack, before removing bread from pan to finish cooling.
Also see, Crock pot apple cinnamon oatmeal.
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.