Fall cool weather has arrived, and we’ve all got pumpkin spice on the brain. But before you head to Starbucks to wrap your hands around a warm cup of pumpkin spiced goodness, wrap your brain around the fact that each standard Grande Pumpkin Spice Latte has the sugar equivalent to 3.5 giant Starbucks sugar cookies.
At that rate, you’ll be packing on the holiday pounds before we even enter October. Plus, all that sugar can leave you feeling sluggish and cranky.
So what’s a PSL fanatic to do?
Each Grande PSL has four pumps of pumpkin spice syrup. At 7.5 grams of sugar per pump, it’s easy to cut back while still keeping the delicious pumpkin flavor. Order half the amount of syrup (2 pumps) and save 15 grams of sugar.
Of course sugar isn’t the only problem. A Grande PSL will add a whopping 380 calories to your day. Here are a few ways to save calories versus the standard order:
- Order a Short PSL instead of a Grande. You’ll save 170 calories.
- Order a Tall PSL instead of a Grande. You’ll save 80 calories.
- Ask your barista to use almond milk and save 80 calories.
- Pass on the whip. Save 70 calories.
- Order with nonfat milk instead, and save 50 calories.
- Ask for coconut milk instead, and save 40 calories.