Don’t you just love dessert for breakfast? Of course eating actual carrot cake for breakfast isn’t exactly a healthy or energizing way to start your morning, but this cool and creamy smoothie is the best of both worlds. Actually, you’ll love this smoothie anytime you want a perfect breakfast, dessert or even a snack.
This carrot cake smoothie tastes just like your favorite carrot cake dessert, only lighter and healthier — so it’s totally guilt free. The Greek yogurt replaces with cream cheese so you’ll get a filling dose of protein instead of fat. Maple syrup makes for a great smoothie sweetener, and it can work really well, so start with just a tablespoon and adjust accordingly from there.
It’s just eight ingredients and can be whipped up in no time with any high speed blender in under 5 minutes. Keep this one on file for the new year, or for anytime you want to eat healthy but delicious breakfast ideas — um, duh! All the time!
And if you love carrot cake, check out these carrot cake pancakes!
Healthy carrot cake smoothie
Serves 2 (or one large smoothie)
- 3 medium carrots, washed and peeled
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup your favorite milk (I like 2% in this recipe)
- 1/4 cup whole almonds or walnuts
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp quality maple syrup
- optional: 1 cup ice
- optional garnishes: coconut flakes, toasted almond slices, fresh grated carrots
- Add all ingredients to high speed blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Top with garnishes or serve as is. Yum!