At this point in the summer, you’re probably still picking lots of zucchini and squash from your garden. Or if you’re lucky, friends are trying to offload their extras. This zucchini casserole is a great way to use up all the zucchini and squash you have laying around. It might be the end of summer, but the warm weather means it’s still solidly squash season.
This recipe is rich and creamy and made perfect by a melty blend of Gruyere and Parmesan cheese. You’ll love this as a late summer side dish.
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 half of a medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces Gruyere cheese, roughly shredded
- 3/4 cup fresh Parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Grease an 8×8 inch casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add butter and let melt, careful not to brown.
- Add onion and garlic. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add zucchini slices and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat zucchini in butter mixture. Cook 4-6 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer contents of skillet to casserole dish.
- In a small saucepan, pour cream and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Reduce to low heat.
- Add gruyere and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Stir gently until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Pour over zucchini.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Serve warm.