Brussels sprouts aren’t exactly the most-beloved vegetable at the market. But as a member of the nutritious cruciferous family — think cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli — they should have a place in your healthy diet.
Brussels sprouts are the killer combination of being both high in fiber, vitamins and minerals, but low in calories. A half cup of cooked sprouts is just 28 calories, but has 137 percent of your vitamin K (good for blood clotting and bone health), and 80 percent of your vitamin C (immune functions) along with other nutrients like vitamin B6, potassium, iron, thiamine, magnesium, and phosphorus.
For people who don’t get enough fish or seafood, Brussels sprouts can be a good plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids. They’ve also been shows to keep blood sugar levels steady, and some studies suggest that their high levels of antioxidants can help protect against certain types of cancer.
Phew! That’s a lot. But if you’re still not convinced to give them a place on your plate, remember fellow cruciferous vegetable kale is having a moment in a big way. Kale smoothies, kale salads, and definitely kale chips have all caught the attention of those looking for healthier diets — so why not Brussels sprout chips instead?
If you’re looking for a salty snack to enjoy with cold drinks this summer, these crunchy chips will hit the spot, and they’ll give you a dose of nutrients while they’re at it.
Brussels Sprouts Chips
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Trim the stems of the sprout so the leave can be peeled off. Peel the first 5-10 leaves off of each bundle. (Save the rest to roast separately for another side dish.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, Dijon, pepper, pepper flakes and salt.
- Add leaves to sauce bowl and toss until coated.
- Spread the leaves out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast on 325ºF for about 15 minutes. Check on the leaves and transfer any that look crispy already to a serving bowl. Continue roasting the rest for another 5 minutes. Check again and remove any more that look crispy. Repeat as necessary (shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes).
- Transfer all leaves to serving bowl and sprinkle with more salt if necessary. Serve with cold beer!
Get groceries delivered from everybodycravespantry.com, where shipping is always free.