With any luck, in just a few weeks, you’ll have more asparagus than you know what to do with.
Enter: Asparagus Tart.
This recipe will use up as much asparagus as you want it to. Squeeze the stalks close together, and line them around the outside. It’s just one way you can customize this spring inspired dish. Don’t like goat cheese? Try ricotta, gruyere or cottage cheese. Vegan? Use vegan versions of your favorite cheeses. Make more salsa or eliminate the balsamic. Whatever you do, it’s going to taste great — When you’re dealing with ingredients like these, you really can’t go wrong.
This tart will be your go-to for get-togethers, breakfast, appetizers and brunches.
Tip: Make this dish for Mother’s Day breakfast in bed or brunch. Mothers loooove brunch.
Asparagus Tart with Strawberry Salsa
Serves: 4-6 ; Total time: 35-40 minutes
- 1 sheet puff pastry (frozen or homemade)
- 6-8 ounces goat cheese (or other soft cheese)
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (or other grated cheese)
- Balsamic vinegar glaze
Strawberry Salsa Ingredients:
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 1/2 of a red or white onion, diced
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt or pepper to taste
- Heat over to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out puff pastry sheet on parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Pastry should be about 14 x 10″.
- Lightly score the pastry sheet. Trace your fork roughly one inch from the outside of the pastry marking the “crust.” Poke the pastry sheet with a fork a dozen or so times to keep it from puffing too much in the oven.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown color starts to show.
- Remove from oven and cool for a minute.
- Spread goat cheese over pastry puff without covering the “crust.”
- Push the asparagus lightly into the cheese, then brush asparagus with olive oil.
- Sprinkle entire pastry with light salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is soft. Make sure pastry doesn’t burn.
- Let cool for a minute then drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Cut into squares and serve with a few spoonfuls of strawberry salsa. Enjoy!
- Mix diced strawberries and diced onion together in a small bowl.
- Add maple syrup and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Season with salt or pepper to taste.
- If you’ve planned ahead, let sit overnight in the refrigerator to let the flavors develop. If not, salsa can be served immediately scooped on top of Asparagus Tart.